After a little scare on Friday I've decided the backsliding and taking for granted stops now :). Time to get back on a bicycle, time to create a new BHAG (Big, Hairy, Audacious, Goal). I rode the first 7 of the roughly 10,000 training miles I will need today at the gym. Diet starts Monday (have to lose 50 pounds since climbing mountains is unforgiving) :).
Martin's Ride Across America (summer of 2010)
Learned a lot riding across America in the summer of 2010. Want Martin's Ride 2014 to be more inclusive and use some of my preaching about platforms, curation and infinite inventory. Not sure how to do any of this yet (as usual), so looking for guidance and ideas. Here are some ideas I'm kicking around now:
- Logistics - hate riding with stuff on my bicycle and the RV was a pain, so wondering if we can use logistics to move everything we need to where we are going to be next. Cool or crazy?
- Community - what is the best way to create a community of other cancer survivors, friends or family who want to help, ride or do contribute
- Where - Logistics like mapping was a pain in America, probably going to be more so somewhere else so how do we conquer the issue of mapping and tour support
- Cash Flow - After Martins Ride I cash is a tad on the short side (I paid for all ride expenses so 100% of donations could go to cancer research), I'm an ecommerce guy so there is bound to be a way to inspire help for the $40K to $50K the two month event will take (please share any ideas since it would SUCK if cash not cancer is what prevented Martins Ride II)
- Cure Cancer Store - I'm thinking our Cancer Samurai brand and the Cure Cancer Store should, somehow, all be part of Martins Ride II
- Sponsorships - Martin's Ride I had a handful of sponsors, but we will need to do better for II, so been thinking of turning the equation on its head by asking sponsors to compete for 10 "free" sponsorships with a community vote on who gets in based on how they will support Martin's Ride and Curing Cancer
- Where? Take the poll and weigh in on where I should ride next. I like to span things and am looking for a 2,000 to 3,000 mile ride with great people, amazing beauty and challenge
Thanks and please remember that together we cure cancer in our lifetime.